Desperation Builds as Indonesians Hoist White Flags Due to Inadequate Disaster Aid
For weeks, angry and distressed locals in Indonesia's westernmost province have been raising white flags due to the official sluggish reaction to a succession of lethal inundations.
Triggered by a unusual weather system in last November, the catastrophe killed over 1,000 individuals and forced out a vast number across the island of Sumatra island. In Aceh, the hardest-hit region which accounted for about half of the casualties, numerous people yet lack consistent availability to clean water, nourishment, electricity and medical supplies.
A Governor's Visible Breakdown
In a demonstration of just how difficult handling the situation has become, the head of North Aceh became emotional openly in early December.
"Does the national government be unaware of [our plight]? I don't understand," a weeping Ismail A Jalil said in front of cameras.
However Leader Prabowo Subianto has rejected external aid, asserting the state of affairs is "being handled." "Our country is capable of managing this disaster," he advised his government last week. Prabowo has also to date disregarded appeals to classify it a national emergency, which would unlock special funds and facilitate aid distribution.
Mounting Scrutiny of the Government
The current government has grown more scrutinised as slow to act, inefficient and out of touch – terms that some analysts contend have come to characterise his tenure, which he won in last February based on popular commitments.
Already this year, his flagship expensive free school meals initiative has been mired in controversy over widespread foodborne illnesses. In August and September, thousands of citizens protested over unemployment and increasing costs of living, in what were the largest of the most significant protests the nation has seen in decades.
Presently, his administration's reaction to the recent deluge has emerged as a further test for the president, although his approval ratings have remained stable at around 78%.
Urgent Appeals for Assistance
Last Thursday, a group of protesters gathered in Banda Aceh, Banda Aceh, holding white flags and demanding that the national authorities permits the way to international help.
Present among the crowd was a small girl holding a piece of paper, which read: "I'm only very young, I hope to mature in a safe and stable environment."
Although normally viewed as a emblem for giving up, the pale banners that have appeared throughout the province – on collapsed rooftops, along eroded riverbanks and outside mosques – are a plea for global unity, demonstrators argue.
"These banners do not signify we are giving in. They are a SOS to attract the notice of allies outside, to show them the circumstances in here currently are truly desperate," stated one local.
Whole communities have been destroyed, while widespread damage to transport links and infrastructure has also isolated many people. Those affected have reported disease and starvation.
"How long more must we wash ourselves in mud and the deluge," cried a demonstrator.
Local leaders have reached out to the UN for assistance, with the Aceh governor announcing he is open to support "from all sources".
The government has said relief efforts are ongoing on a "large scale", stating that it has released some 60 trillion rupiah (a large amount) for reconstruction efforts.
Calamity Strikes Again
For some in Aceh, the situation recalls painful memories of the 2004 Indian Ocean Boxing Day tsunami, one of the most devastating catastrophes ever.
A powerful ocean seismic event caused a tidal wave that created waves as high as 30m high which slammed into the Indian Ocean shoreline that morning, claiming an estimated a quarter of a million lives in in excess of a dozen countries.
The province, already affected by decades of civil war, was part of the hardest-hit. Survivors explain they had barely completed rebuilding their communities when tragedy struck again in last November.
Relief was delivered more promptly following the 2004 tsunami, even though it was far more destructive, they argue.
Numerous countries, global bodies like the International Monetary Fund, and NGOs donated vast sums into the recovery effort. The Indonesian government then established a dedicated agency to coordinate money and assistance programs.
"The international community responded and the community rebuilt {quickly|